CRANBERRY APPLE CHEDDAR DUMPLINGS
Makes 8 servings
• 1 (8-ounce) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
• 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and quartered
• Cooking spray
• 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 medium oranges)
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup butter
• 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Dash of nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 ounces Cabot Mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Separate crescent roll dough into individual sections. Working with one piece at a time, flatten dough slightly with hands and wrap around one apple quarter, covering completely. Repeat with remaining dough and apple quarters; place dumplings in a medium casserole dish, coated with cooking spray.
2. Combine orange juice, sugar, butter, cranberries, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
3. Pour sauce over apple dumplings. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes; top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Up to 2 days in advance, peel, core and quarter apples; toss with lemon juice. Place in a zip-top bag and refrigerate. (Do not open dough). Prepare orange juice-butter sauce per instructions above; let cool and refrigerate separately from apples.
Up to 2 hours in advance, apples may be wrapped in dough per instructions above. Pour sauce over dumplings and refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake dumplings per instructions above while the meal is served. Just before serving top with cheese and finish baking. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Cabot Creamery Cooperative - www.cabotcheese.com