Makes 10 servings.
• 1 medium sweet potato or 1 (15 oz.) can* sweet potatoes, drained and diced
• 1/4 cup water
• 4 cups cooked rice
• 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup green onions (scallions)
• 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 1 cup chopped fresh Del Monte pineapple
• 1/4 cup pineapple juice
• 2 tbsp. vinegar
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
• Dash cayenne pepper
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tbsp. chopped peanuts, optional
* Canned sweet potatoes are precooked.
Place sweet potatoes and water in microwave-safe dish, covered, and microwave for about 3 to 4 minutes until done.
Drain and dice.
In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, sweet potatoes, green onions, red bell pepper, and pineapple.
In a small bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, vinegar, olive oil, ginger, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Carefully toss with rice mixture; sprinkle with peanuts, if desired.
Refrigerate until serving.
Per serving: CALORIES 237 (12% from fat); FAT 3g; PROTEIN 6g; CARB 46g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 145mg
* Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.