Weekly Trivia Quiz is below
TODAY’S FOOD QUOTE
“Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better.”
Food Holidays - Today is:
• National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day
• Egg Salad Week (April 21-27, 2014 - the week after Easter)
[American Egg Board] Dedicated to the many delicious uses for all of the Easter eggs that have been cooked, colored, hidden and found.
TODAY IN FOOD HISTORY
On this day in:
1766 Robert Bailey Thomas was born. He was the founder and long time editor of the 'Farmer's Almanac' now known as the 'Old Farmer's Almanac.'
1833 Jacob Ebert and George Dulty patented the first soda fountain. Not many soda fountains around anymore.
1886 Petroleum discovered in the Middle East, on the Egyptian shore of the Red Sea.
1898 Cornelius Hoagland died (born Nov 23, 1828). Co-founder of Royal Baking Powder Company in 1866 with his brother Joseph Christoffel Hoagland.
1914 Justin Wilson, Cajun chef and humorist was born. He wrote five cookbooks and hosted several cooking shows on TV, including 'Louisiana Cookin' and 'Cookin' Cajun.'
1947 Wild Turkey bass guitarist Glenn Cornick was born. He was also the original bass guitarist with Jethro Tull.
1949 Chocolate rationing ends in Britain.
1985 Thomas Stanley, a researcher at Georgia State University, reported that there were 832,602 millionaires in the U.S. Their average age was 57 years old.
1994 The world's largest lollipop, 3,011 pounds, is made in Denmark.
2003 Canada announced the closure of what remained of the cod fishery in Newfoundland, the Maritime provinces and Quebec due to depleted stocks of cod.
(Cod fish facts and trivia)
UPCOMING FEATURED FOOD FESTIVALS
April 24-27, 2014 37th Vidalia Onion Festival - Vidalia, Georgia
April 24-27, 2014 Food & Wine Festival - Galveston, Texas
April 25-26, 2014 Baconfest Chicago - Chicago, Illinois
April 25-27, 2014 Stockton Asparagus Festival - Stockton, CA
April 26-27, 2014 Great American Pie Festival - Celebration, Fla
FOOD TRIVIA QUIZ (new on April 18, 2014)
1) All of the following events took place during the same year.
· General Mills introduced Hamburger Helper, created to stretch a pound of hamburger into a family meal.
· Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn was introduced.
· General Mills acquired the 2 year old Red Lobster restaurant chain.
· Classic French Cooking by Craig Claiborne and Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol II by Julia Child & Simone Beck were published.
· Food shortages in Poland result in high food prices which trigger a riot at the Gadansk shipyard, which in turn brings down the government.
· The Soviet Union acknowledges that food supplies are inadequate. Continental Grain in the U.S. receives an order from Moscow for 500,000 tons of corn.
· The Indian-Pacific Express begins service in Australia on the Trans-Australian Railway between Sydney on the East Coast and Perth on the West Coast, a 2400 mile trip.
During what year did all of the above events take place?
a) 1965 b) 1970 c) 1975 d) 1980 e) 1985
2) What do these words have in common?
Baseball, Club, Flatiron, Hanger, Shell.
3) What brownish, bitter, foul-smelling resinous material obtained from the roots of an Asian member of parsley family, is used as a condiment?
4) What do these foods have in common:
Bread, Marmalade, Vanilla Fudge, Vanilla Ice, Hot Chocolate, Hot Tuna and Humble Pie?
5) In what film do the following events take place?
· A giant 4-legged teakettle pours itself into a walking teacup.
· A Vacuum Flask inhales a 3-scoop ice cream cone.
· A large eggcup holding a soft-boiled egg flies across the hall.
· An apple and a pear are used to compose the '8' in the number 38.
· A bluebird appears holding 2 maraschino cherries.
6) This small annual herb, a member of the carrot family, is second in popularity only to black pepper throughout the world. It has dark green leaves and tiny white or pink flowers. The fruit, when green, has an unpleasant taste, but when ripe is aromatic and is used as a spice. Can you name this plant whose fruit is used as a spice?
7) What bitter extract from a southern European plant root is used in Angostura bitters, chocolate, vermouth, candy, ice cream and vanilla flavorings?
8) About what percentage of a lemon is juice?
Click here for the answers to this Culinary Quiz
This website is dedicated to:
Gladys Ehler, my mother, who taught me patience and how to make Sauerbraten (it is still my favorite)
Edward Ehler, my father, who taught me a love of books and history.
Cpl. Thomas E. Saba, my nephew. Died in action on Feb. 7, 2007 in Iraq. He was 30 yrs. young.