CURRENT CULINARY QUIZ QUESTIONS
ANSWERS ARE BELOW (A New quiz every day)
TODAY’S FOOD TRIVIA QUIZ
1) All of the following events took place in the same year.
What year is it?
· There are about 2,780,000 farms, averaging about 390 acres.
· Farmers made up less than 5 percent of work force for the first time.
· Hamburger Helper was introduced.
· Orville Redenbacher introduced his Gourmet Popping corn.
· At the 43rd National Spelling Bee, Libby Childress wins spelling the word 'croissant.'
· U.S. commercial whale hunting ended.
2) This plant is pictured on tombs from ancient Egypt, and has been found in ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum. Pliny listed it as a cure for 60 different illnesses. In 1st century India it was used to prevent heart disease. In Shakespearean England, it was prized as an aphrodisiac. The English name for it comes from the Anglo-Saxon for 'spear plant,' and the Latin word comes from the Celtic word meaning 'hot.' What is it?
3) This tree and its fruit are native to the Peruvian Andes, but are widely cultivated as a commercial crop in New Zealand, where most of the U.S. supply originates. When it did not sell well under its original name, New Zealanders invented its current name in 1966.
a) kiwi b) tamarillo c) uglifruit d) gooseberry e) pumello
ANSWERS TO TODAY’S FOOD TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
1) All of the events took place in 1970.
(Food History Timeline: 1966-1970)
2) Garlic (Allium sativum).
3) b) The Tree Tomato was renamed Tamarillo.