FoodReference.com (since 1999)
Food Articles, News & Features Section
Home | Food Articles | Food Trivia | Today In Food History | Food Timeline | Videos | Recipes
Cooking Tips | Food Quotes | Who's Who | Food Trivia Quizzes | Crosswords | Food Poems
Cookbooks | Magazines | Recipe Contests | Culinary Schools | Gourmet Tours | Food Festivals
ANSWERS ARE BELOW
(A New quiz every day)
1) Marshmallows were originally made from a plant, the marsh mallow. Which of the following plants are in this same Mallow family?
a) Hollyhock; b) Cotton; c) Okra; d) Rose of Sharon
2) Can you name a vegetable that has 2 to 4 times as much vitamin C as Oranges?
3) Which specific part of chile peppers are the hottest?
1) Hollyhock, cotton, okra and Rose of Sharon are all in the Mallow family. (The roots of the Marsh Mallow (Althaea officinalis) were the source for the original marshmallow candy, made by boiling the soft inner pulp from the roots with sugar until very thick.)
2) Green, sweet bell pepper have 2 times as much vitamin C as oranges; red and yellow bell peppers have 4 times as much.
3) The seeds are not the hottest part of peppers. It is at the point where the seed is attached to the white membrane inside the pepper that the highest concentration of capsaicin (the compound giving peppers their pungent flavor) is found.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2017 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright. Please take the time to request permission.