CURRENT CULINARY QUIZ QUESTIONS
ANSWERS ARE BELOW
(A New quiz every day)
TODAY’S FOOD TRIVIA QUIZ
1) In most countries this fruit is used more like a vegetable than a fruit. Popular in Latin American, Caribbean and Asian countries, this versatile fruit has three unique stages when it can be eaten. In the first stage, when green, it tastes something like a potato, and the flesh is yellowish or slightly pink. In the middle stage, the skin may have some spots, and it is used as both a vegetable and a fruit. In the final stage, they are frequently all black, and are used in sweet dishes, and may be eaten out of hand. Name this fruit.
2) The following events all took place during the same year.
Can you guess what year?
· The Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad comes to the Texas cow country, ending the need for long distance cattle drives.
· The North American Lobster catch reaches an all time high of 130 million pounds.
· The U.S. Congress bans barbed wire fencing of public lands in the West and President Cleveland orders the removal of all illegal enclosures.
· Richard King, co-founder of the King Ranch died. The King ranch was 600,000 acres and grazed 100,000 head of cattle.
· The U.S. corn crop reached over 2 billion bushels for the first time
· Morton's Salt was introduced by Joy Morton Co., which will be the only nationwide marketer of salt in the U.S.
· New York Condensed Milk Co. introduced fresh milk in bottles to its line.
· Evaporated milk is produced commercially for the first time by Helvetia Milk Condensing Co.
3) Which weighs more, a pint of Heavy Cream or a pint of Light Cream? Why?
ANSWERS TO TODAY’S FOOD TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
2) All of the events took place in 1885.
(Food History timeline: 1885-1889).
3) A pint of light cream weighs more. Heavy Cream contains more butterfat (milk fat) than light cream, and butterfat weighs less than the remaining water based content. 'Heavy' refers to the richness (butterfat content) or thickness, not the weight.