CLAM GUMBO ON RICE
Yield: 6 servings
• 36 Florida clams in the shell
• 1 10-ounce package frozen sliced Florida okra (partially thawed and separated)
• 1/2 Cup sliced Florida onion
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 16-ounce can tomatoes
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon fine herbs blend
• 3 cups cooked Florida rice
Wash clams thoroughly under cold running water.
Shuck clams, drain; set aside.
Cook okra and onion in vegetable oil for 5-8 minutes or until onion is soft and okra is partially cooked.
Blend in flour and salt.
Add tomatoes; cook, stirring until slightly thickened.
Add clams, pepper sauce and fine herbs; cook until the edges of the clams curl.
Serve over hot rice.
Per serving: calories 310, calories from fat 100, total fat 10g, saturated fat 1.5g, cholesterol 20mg, total carbohydrate 42g, protein 12g.
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services