CALIFORNIA FISHERMEN'S SOUP
Healthy Carb Cookbook For Dummies® by Jan McCracken
California is a country, right? Okay, maybe not. But I want stop in San Francisco for some great fishermen's soup. Living in and near the fishing towns of California, I've learned that fishermen who cook their catch tend to cook it a bit differently. It's the taste of the fish they're after, not all the other stuff. This is a tomato-less fish soup, as a tomato base can cover up the true flavor of the fish at times. Enjoy this simply fish soup.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 generous serving
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 celery stalks, diced fine
1 carrot, peeled and diced fine
1 small leek, diced
2 shallots, chopped fine
1/2 pound fresh halibut, cut into 1-inch square pieces
1/2 pound fresh haddock filets, cut into 1-inch square pieces
1/2 pound fresh redSnapper, cut into 1-inch square pieces
4 cups fish stock
1 1/2 cups dry white wine (not too acidic)
1 pound fresh scallops
1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tablespoons tarragon leaves
1/4 cup minced fresh chives
Pepper to taste
Fresh Italian parsley for garnish (optional)
1. In a large heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the celery, carrot, leek, and shallots and cook until veggies are just crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add the halibut, haddock, and snapper to the oil-and-veggie mix. Cook the fish until it's almost opaque, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the fish stock and the wine, stirring to combine the ingredients, and bring it to a slow boil. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the scallops and the salt. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add the parsley, tarragon, and chives. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
5. Cook over medium-high heat until the soup returns to a boil. Remove from heat and serve immediately, garnishing each bowl of soup with parsley, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 332 (From Fat 114); Fat 13 (Saturated 2g); Cholesterol 86mg; Sodium 896mg; Carbohydrate 8g; Dietary Fiber 2g (Net Carbohydrate 6g); Protein 42g.