• Decade of Family Farming 2019-2028 (UN General Assembly)
[www.familyfarmingcampaign.org/en/home] (see Dec 20, 2017)
• 2018: The United Nations has not declared 2018 as an International Year for any specifis topic.
• 2018 Herb of the Year: Hops (Humulus ssp)
[International Herb Association]
ABOUT EVENTS IN THE HISTORY OF FOOD & BEVERAGES
This section is updated Daily. A calendar of food holidays, historical food events from ancient to modern times. Births, deaths, anniversaries, inventions, first, last, largest, smallest, longest, greatest. People, corporations, restaurants, books, movies, songs, radio, television, commercials, equipment, beverages, fruits, vegetables, animals, fish, and anything else having to do with food and drink history!
The various designated food & beverage related ‘days’ ‘weeks’ and ‘months’ listed in this food calendar come from many sources. Some are declared by Presidential proclamation or by Congress (National Bird Feeding Month), by other federal government organizations such as the USDA, FDA, or CDC (National Fiber Focus Month) or by State, County or City governments.
Other sources are Industry groups like the National Confectioners Association (National Chocolate Day), and the American Egg Board (Egg Salad Week). Some are designated by private groups like the Culinary Historians of Chicago (National Soul Food Month). Some are declared by individual companies like White Castle (National Hamburger Month). There are a few that are listed on many other websites, but if I am unable to verify a legitimate source, I will remove them from this website.
(web page with Romanian translation)
Here are a four more very good ‘Timelines’ about Food and Agriculture:
• FoodTimeLine.org by Lynne Olver, Reference Librarian
• History of American Agriculture USDA Agriculture in the Classroom
• General Today in History: Those Were the Days
• General Science: Today in Science History
My thanks to Ron Elling and others who send in occasional updates and corrections for this Food Calendar. Chef James