CIOPPINO, SPICY CIOPPINO
EatingWell Serves Two by Jim Romanoff
San Francisco's Italian immigrants developed this stew to use the abundant local seafood. We've opted for farm-raised tilapia and scallops, but feel free to experiment with whatever is fresh.
Total: 30 minutes
Makes 2 Servings, 2 Cups Each.
• 4 small (1-to 2-inch-diameter) red potatoes, quartered
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 tilapia fillet, diced (about 5 ounces)
• 4 ounces dry bay scallops patted dry
• 1 small sweet onion, sliced
• 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend or poultry seasoning
• 1 or 2 teaspoons hot paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1/2 cup water
• 3 plum tomatoes, diced
• 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed (optional)
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional)
1. Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tilapia and scallops; cook, stirring once or twice, until just opaque, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to the pan and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, add Italian (or poultry) seasoning, paprika to taste, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine, water and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the fish, scallops, potatoes and capers (if using), return to a simmer and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Per Serving: 431 calories; 17 g fat (2 g sat, 11 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrate; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 502 mg sodium; 1,041 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value). Potassium & Vitamin A (30%dv), Magnesium (23% dv).