SWEET POTATO SALAD (Honey Mustard)
Simply in Season
by Mary Beth Lind, Cathleen Hockman-Wert
• 3 cups / 750 ml sweet potatoes (cooked, peeled, and diced)
• 1 cup / 250 ml celery (diced)
• 3/4 cup / 175 ml green or red sweet pepper (chopped)
• 1/2 cup / 125 ml onion (chopped)
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro (chopped)
• 3 green onions (thinly sliced; optional)
Combine in a large bowl. Top with dressing of choice below.
• 1/2 cup / 125 ml cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared mustard
• 1 tablespoon honey
Combine and pour over vegetables. Toss until well coated. Serve on lettuce (optional) and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
SPICY CHIPOTLE DRESSING:
• 1/4 cup / 60 ml fresh lime juice
• 1/4 cup / 60 ml canned chipotle chilies (seeds removed)
• 1 tablespoon ketchup
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 clove garlic (minced)
• 1/3 cup / 75 ml olive oil
Combine and puree dressing ingredients except oil in blender or food processor. Add oil and process until thick. Pour half of the dressing over the potato mixture and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. The salad should be moist but not runny. Add more dressing as needed. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve cold.
Margaret Wyse, Waxhaw North Carolina; Kurt Kuipers, Monroe, Wisconsin