TWO POTATO SALAD WITH RED BEANS
Eat Caribbean by Virginia Burke
I couldn't have a section on salads without including the ubiquitous potato salad - with a twist. Try to use waxy potatoes and look out for unusual varieties. I once found some little purple sweet potatoes for this and they were really pretty in the mix.
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes + 2 hours cooling and chilling.
• 1 lb sweet potato
• 1 lb waxy potatoes, e.g. red-skinned
• 2 eggs (optional)
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 3 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
• 1 onion, grated or finely chopped
• 4 oz cooked or canned red kidney beans, or gungo beans
• 1 tsp salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, e.g. coriander, tarragon, dill and/or parsley
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and just wash the regular ones. Boil them together in a pan of salted water for about 20-25 minutes or until just tender. Check the sweet potatoes after 15 minutes as they may cook faster than the regular potatoes. If ready remove them with a slotted spoon whilst the others continue cooking. (You don't want any of them to be overcooked or they will fall apart.)
2. Meanwhile, hard-boil the eggs, if using, and then shell and chop them.
3. Mix the mayonnaise with vinegar, mustard, garlic and onion.
4. Drain the potatoes in a colander and peel the red ones while still warm. Cut all potatoes into bite-sized cubes. Dress with the mayonnaise mixture while still warm. Add the beans and egg if using and toss together with salt and pepper. On the last turn, add some of the chopped herbs, leaving some as a final green garnish.
5. Allow to cool and then keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This will give the flavours a chance to develop and become absorbed by the potatoes.
6. Serve sprinkled with the remaining herbs.