POVERTY FLAT POTATO SALAD
Outdoor Dutch Oven Cookbook
by Sheila Mills
Around 1900, Joe Groff' worked a mining claim near the Main Salmon River. It had an open area known as Poverty Flat, where nothing would grow. This simple salad is named for the area.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
• 4 medium-sized potatoes (unpeeled), cooked and cubed
• 1 red onion, chopped
• 3 stalks celery, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
• 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
• 3 eggs, hard-cooked and cubed
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Combine all ingredients and chill.