SAVORY POTATO SALAD
Add fresh vegetables and herbs to give a tasty flavor to this potato salad.
Makes 10 servings
6 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs)
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 stalks scallion, finely chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 egg, hard boiled, chopped
6 Tbsps mayonnaise, light
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dill weed, dried
1. Wash potatoes, cut in half, and place them in cold water in a saucepan.
2. Cook covered over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain and dice potatoes when cool.
4. Add vegetables and egg to potatoes and toss.
5. Blend together mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and dill weed.
6. Pour dressing over potato mixture and stir gently to coat evenly.
7. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 21 mg
Sodium: 212 mg
Total fiber: 2 g
Protein: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Potassium: 291 mg
National Institutes of Health - www.nih.gov/
Special thanks to Goulda A. Downer, Ph.D., R.D., for sharing her collection of African American recipes, and the General Clinical Research Center in the Irving Center for Clinical Research, Columbia University, New York, for testing the recipes.