PIZZA DI SPAGHETTI
• 6 ounces dry spaghetti
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
• 8 ounces mozzarella, fior di latte, if possible
• 18 black olives, any good quality
• 6 oil-packed anchovies
• 8 ounces peeled San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand to break into pieces
• 2 teaspoons Sicilian dry oregano
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Cook the spaghetti in plenty of salted water until very al dente. Drain well, sprinkle with half of the olive oil, and toss slightly. Place the spaghetti into small casserole dishes for individual servings or in two 8-inch casseroles that have been lightly oiled. Make sure the spaghetti is flat by lightly pressing it into an even layer.
Cut the mozzarella into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Pit the olives and then slice them thin.
Cover the top of the spaghetti with the mozzarella slices. Divide the anchovies between the casseroles, and then spread the crushed tomatoes on top followed by, the olives, oregano, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
Bake for about 20 minutes until the mozzarella has completely melted. Serve very hot.
Recipe from A TAVOLA! Recipes and Reflections on Traditional Italian Home Cooking by Gianni Scappin and Vincenzo Lauria (Lebhar-Friedman, August 2009, Hardcover/$29.95)