GREEK PIZZA WITH SPINACH, FETA CHEESE, AND ROSEMARY
Fields of Greens: New Vegetarian Recipes From The Celebrated Greens Restaurant by Anne Somerville
The flavors of this pizza are bold, and each ingredient adds its own distinctive taste. The spinach is quickly wilted, then feta cheese, Greek olives, and fresh rosemary are sprinkled over; a little lemon zest is added to lighten the intense flavors. You can substitute chard for the spinach; just be sure it's tender and well seasoned.
Makes One 15-Inch Or Two 9-Inch Pizzas
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced
• Salt and pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 large bunch of spinach, stems removed and leaves washed, 8 to 10 cups
• 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
• Pizza Dough, ready to rollout
• Garlic Oil
• 6 Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
• 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled, about 1½ cups
• 1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, grated, about 1½ cups
• 1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated, about 3 tablespoons
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a saute pan. Add the red onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper; saute over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add half of the garlic and saute for i minute. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in the pan. Wilt the spinach over high heat with 1/4 teaspoon salt, a few pinches of pepper, and the remaining garlic. When the spinach is wilted but still bright green, in about i minute, remove it from the pan and place it in a strainer to cool. Squeeze out the excess moisture with your hands, then coarsely chop and toss with the lemon zest.
Preheat oven to 500°F.
Roll out the dough and place it on a lightly oiled pizza pan or well-floured wooden peel; brush with the Garlic Oil. Spread the onion on the dough, followed by the spinach. Sprinkle the olives over the spinach, follow with the crumbled feta, then add the mozzarella cheese.
Bake the pizza, in the pan or on a preheated pizza stone, for 8 to 12 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp.
Remove it from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary.