This hearty deep-dish pizza is a meal all in one dish and is chock-full of hearty vegetables. This would be great for a large family feast or for your Fall football get-togethers.
Yield: 10 - 12 servings.
• 1 ready-made 12" refrigerated pizza crust
• 1 large Florida sweet onion, chopped
• 1 large Florida green pepper, thinly sliced
• 1/4 - 1/2 pound Florida mushrooms, sliced
• 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
• 2 Tablespoons butter
• 1 pound ground chuck (optional)
• 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• One 8-oz can tomato sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon basil
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 small can black olives, sliced
• 1 cup Florida broccoli, cut into small florets
• 1 cup Florida zucchini, sliced
• 1 cup Florida yellow squash, sliced
• 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
• 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
• oregano to taste
Step 1: Press ready-made pizza crust into a greased 13' x 9" pan, making the edge approximately 3/4" high.
Saute onion, green pepper, mushrooms and minced garlic in butter until soft.
Step 2: Brown beef with salt and pepper, breaking it up as it cooks until crumbly.
Drain well, set aside.
In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, basil leaves, oregano leaves and garlic powder.
Step 3: Layer half of the ingredients onto crust in pan in the following order: sauce, meat, olives, cooked vegetables, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash and small amount of cheeses.
Repeat the same layering process with remaining half of ingredients, topping with remaining cheeses.
Sprinkle with oregano.
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
Florida Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Services - www.florida-agriculture.com/