King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
by King Arthur Flour
This granola was the hands-down favorite in our test kitchen, and it's a great recipe to use as abase for variations. We love the mix of dried fruits, the toasty flavor of the nuts and the sweet, smoky maple syrup. If you don't have one of the ingredients, feel free to substitute another or omit it if you like. If you can find other rolled grains, by all means substitute them for part of the oats. Mix this up, plop it in the oven and turn your attention to something else—granolas are pretty low-maintenance baking. Note that just 1/2 cup of this delicious granola gives you 19 grams of whole grains, and that's over a third of what you need each day.
Yield: 16 Cups
Baking Temperature: 250°F
Baking Time: 2 Hours
• 7 cups (24 1/2 ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats
• 1 cup (3 ounces) flaked coconut
• 1 cup (4 ounces) wheat germ
• 1 cup (5 ounces) almonds, sliced or broken up
• 1 cup (3 3/4 ounces) pecans or walnuts, chopped or broken up
• 1 cup (5 ounces) sunflower seeds, raw or toasted
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (11 ounces) maple syrup
• 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup (5 1/4 ounces) golden raisins
• 1 cup (4 ounces) dried cranberries
• 1 cup (4 1/2 ounces) chopped dried apricots
Preheat the oven to 250°F. Combine the oats, coconut, wheat germ, nuts, seeds and salt in a very large bowl. Mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Pour the syrup mixture over the dry mixture, stirring and tossing till everything is very well combined; its probably easiest to do this with your hands.
Spread the granola over 2 large baking sheets with rims. Your cleanup will be much easier if you line them with parchment paper.
Bake for 2 hours, stirring the mixture after 1 hour or so. Remove the pans from the oven and let cool completely. Transfer the granola to a large bowl and mix in the dried fruit.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: (1/2 CUP, 68g): 19g whole grains, 292 cal, 15g fat, 7g protein, 28g complex carbohydrates, 8g sugar, 5g dietary fiber, 47mg sodium, 344mg potassium, 70RE vitamin A, 1mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 48mg calcium, 214mg phosphorus.