FoodReference.com (since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | Recipes | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_& Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food Poems | Free_Magazines | Food Festivals & Events
You are here > Home >
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
Culinary Schools & Cooking Classes
From Amateur & Basic Cooking Classes to Professional Chef Training & Degrees
More than 1,000 schools & classes listed for all 50 States, Online and Worldwide
The acid freshness of carambola (star fruit) lends just the right edge to the oily avocado, while brightly complementing its color. If you cannot find sweet carambolas, sprinkle the fruit with sugar.
(See also: Star Fruit Article; Star Fruit Facts & Trivia)
· 2 tablespoons fruit-flavored vinegar
· 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
· 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil (see Note below)
· 3 tablespoons peanut oil
· 3 medium Belgian endives, cored and cut into 2-3-inch julienne strips
· 1 medium avocado (preferably Hass variety)
· 1 large carambola (sweet or medium-sweet), about 5 inches long
1. Blend together vinegar and salt. Add both oils and mix well.
2. Arrange endive on a serving dish.
Halve avocado lengthwise. Remove pit and peel. Cut across on slant to make thin slices; arrange over endive.
3. Cut a central slice from the carambola and reserve. Halve rest of fruit lengthwise, then cut across in very thin slice. Place these over avocado; center the reserved whole star slice.
4. Drizzle dressing over all and serve.
Note: Hazelnut oil imported from France is available in fancy shops all over the country. You may substitute 1/4 cup light olive oil to replace both oils.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright. Please take the time to request permission.