SOUTHWESTERN GRAIN MEDLEY
From: The Sonoma Diet by Connie Guttersen
Start To Finish: 30 Minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
• 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
• 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup cooked quinoa*
• 1/2 cup cooked brown or wild rice
• 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
• 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
• 1/2 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
• 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh jalapeno or serrano chile pepper**
• 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
Thaw corn, if frozen. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn and the 1 teaspoon oil. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until browned and toasted. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the quinoa, rice, black beans, bell peppers, cucumber, green onion, lime juice, the 1 tablespoon oil, jalapeno, and cilantro. Mix well; season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
*Note: Look for quinoa at a health food store or in the grains section of a large supermarket. To cook quinoa, in a small saucepan add 1/3 cup quinoa to 2/3 cup boiling water. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed.
**Note: Because hot chile peppers contain oils that can burn your skin and eyes, wear rubber or plastic gloves when working with them. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap & water.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
174 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 154 mg sodium, 28 g carbo., 4 g fiber, 6 g pro.