SAVORY SUMMER VEGETABLE BREAD PUDDING
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 11 minutes
Baking Time: 50 minutes
• 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
• 1/2 cup sliced shallots or chopped onion
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 medium zucchini or summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
• 2 cups diced Canadian bacon or ham (optional)
• 5 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, divided
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
• 12 oz. sliced Italian or sourdough bread, divided
• 2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento Artisan Blends Shredded Double Cheddar Cheese
• 4 eggs
• 2½ cups milk
1. Melt butter in large skillet. Add shallots and garlic; cook over medium heat 3 minutes. Add squash and bell pepper; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat; stir in Canadian bacon, if desired. Stir in 4 tablespoons basil, salt and pepper.
2. Cut bread slices in half if large; arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake in preheated 400°F oven 10 minutes. Layer half of the bread in greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Spoon half of squash mixture over bread; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat.
3. Beat eggs and milk in medium bowl; pour over bread mixture. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into squares; sprinkle with remaining basil.
Make-ahead tip: May be assembled completely, then covered and refrigerated up to 8 hours. Bake in preheated 400°F oven 40 minutes.
About Sargento Artisan Blends
Sargento Artisan Blends features a delicious mingling of high quality Sargento cheese with flavorful, handcrafted artisan cheese. The artisan cheeses hail from artisans all selected in recognition of their own passion and commitment to the highest flavor standards. Six shredded varieties include Parmesan, Parmesan & Romano, Whole Milk Mozzarella, Whole Milk Mozzarella & Provolone, Double Cheddar, and Swiss Blend.