SMOKE & FIRE PORK TENDERLOIN WITH SWEET ONION SLAW
Sweet Onion Slaw:
• 4 cups packaged coleslaw mix with carrots
• 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
• 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
• 1/2 cup Ranch salad dressing
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1/2 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
• 2 chipotle chiles packed in adobo sauce, minced*
• 2 pork tenderloins, about 2 pounds total
• 2 tablespoons garlic-flavored oil
For Slaw, combine coleslaw mix, onion and bell peppers in large bowl. Combine dressing, cilantro and lime juice in a small bowl; toss dressing mixture with coleslaw mixture just until all ingredients are well coated. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
For pork, prepare grill with medium-hot fire. Combine barbecue sauce with chipotle chiles. Brush tenderloin with garlic-flavored oil. Grill 8 minutes per side, or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part reads 150 degrees F. Brush tenderloin generously with barbecue sauce mixture and grill a couple more minutes, about one minute per side. Let tenderloin stand 5 minutes before slicing.
To serve, place slaw in center of platter. Surround with sliced tenderloin. Remaining sauce can be served at the table.
*Wear rubber gloves when handling hot chiles.
The slaw can be made up to three hours ahead for this spicy dish. The slaw is a great partner for spicy pork. Serve with fresh seasonal fruit and plenty of iced tea.
Calories 270 calories; Protein 25 grams; Fat 16 grams; Sodium 530 milligrams; Cholesterol 75 milligrams; Saturated Fat 3 grams; Carbohydrates 8 grams
Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more information about The Other White Meat, visit TheOtherWhiteMeat.com