Today in Food History
• National Lobster Day (2015 Senate Resolution sponsored by Maine Senator Angus King - see also June 15) --- (Lobster Trivia & Facts -- Lobster Recipes)
• National Cooking Day
• National Crab Newberg Day
(Crab Trivia & Facts -- Crab Recipes)
• German Butterbrot Day (Buttered Bread)
(since 1999, German marketing group)
• UK: Red Squirrel Week (Sept 24-30, 2018) Once common, Red Squirrels are now only found in certain areas of the UK, which is why The Wildlife Trusts are working to protect them. (The Wildlife Trusts)
• UK: [British Food Fortnight] (Sept 22 - Oct 7, 2018)
• UK: [Seed Gathering Season] (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2018)
On this day in:
1777 Johann Heinrich Lambert died. He proved that Apple pie was irrational. Oops - never mind - that was 'pi' that he proved was an irrational number.
1843 Melville Reuben Bissell was born. Bissell invented the carpet sweeper in 1876.
1879 A Cream Separator was patented. ?
1890 Sequoia National Park was established to protect the giant Sequoia trees, among the oldest living things on earth. [Sequoia Natural History Assn]
1936 William Horlick died (born Feb 23, 1846). Manufacturer of food for infants and invalids, he created and patented (1883) a new formulae named 'Diastoid' - later renamed and trademarked as 'malted milk' which found new and unexpected uses and markets.
1974 It is first reported that freon from aerosol cans is destroying the ozone layer above the earth.
1976 A record 87 pound dolphin (the fish, not the marine mammal) was caught with rod and reel off the coast of Costa Rica.
(Dolphin or Mahi-Mahi Trivia -- Mahi-Mahi Recipes)
1985 William Cumming Rose died. An American biochemist, he researched amino acids, and established the importance of the 8 essential amino acids in human nutrition. (Amino Acids Trivia & Facts)
2007 The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office issued a certificate canceling all claims related to the Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich patent. (see also Dec 21, 1999)
2009 The movie 'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell' opened in U.S. theaters.