Today in Food History
• National Lobster Day 2015 (Senate Resolution sponsored by Maine Senator Angus King)
• National Alpaca Farm Days (Sept 24-25, 2016)
[Alpaca Owners Association]
• National Crab Newberg Day
• Canada: National Organic Week (Sept 17-25, 2016)
The largest annual celebration of organic food, farming and products across Canada.
• UK: British Food Fortnight (Sept 17 - Oct 2, 2016)
• UK: National Cupcake Week (Sept 19-25, 2016)
• UK: Red Squirrel Week (Sept 24-Oct 2, 2016)
[The Wildlife Trusts]
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2016)
On this day in:
1777 Johann Heinrich Lambert died. He proved that Apple pie was irrational. Oops - never mind - that was 'pi' that he proved was an irrational number.
1843 Melville Reuben Bissell was born. Bissell invented the carpet sweeper in 1876.
1879 A Cream Separator was patented. ?
1890 Sequoia National Park was established to protect the giant Sequoia trees, among the oldest living things on earth. (Sequoia Natural History Assn)
1936 William Horlick died (born Feb 23, 1846). Manufacturer of food for infants and invalids, he created and patented (1883) a new formulae named 'Diastoid' - later renamed and trademarked as 'malted milk' which found new and unexpected uses and markets.
1974 It is first reported that freon from aerosol cans is destroying the ozone layer above the earth.
1976 A record 87 pound dolphin was caught with rod and reel off the coast of Costa Rica.
1985 William Cumming Rose died. An American biochemist, he researched amino acids, and established the importance of the 8 essential amino acids in human nutrition.
2007 The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office issued a certificate canceling all claims related to the Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich patent. (see also Dec 21, 1999)
2009 The movie 'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell' opened in U.S. theaters.