Today in Food History
• Johnny Appleseed Day (see 1774 below)
(John Chapman Biography)
• St. Cosmas, patron of barbers, hairdressers, midwives and doctors.
• UK: Red Squirrel Week (Sept 23-Oct 1, 2017) Once common, Red Squirrels are now only found in certain areas of the UK, which is why The Wildlife Trusts are working to protect them. [The Wildlife Trusts]
• UK: British Food Fortnight (Sept 23 - Oct 8, 2017)
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2017)
On this day in:
1754 Joseph-Louis Proust born. Proust was a French chemist. In 1799 he extracted sugar from grapes, and proved it identical to sugar extracted from honey.
1774 John Chapman, Johnny Appleseed was born. American pioneer and legend, he planted apple seeds in the Ohio River valley area (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois).
1789 Samuel Osgood was appointed as the first Postmaster General under the Constitution.
1820 Daniel Boone died. American pioneer and frontiersman.
1843 Ivan Pavlov was born. He was the first to notice that dogs began to salivate when they could see, smell or taste food.
1902 Levi Strauss died. Inventor and manufacturer of jeans. He originally planned to make canvas tents for miners in the California gold rush, but soon found that durable pants sold better.
1904 Lafcadio Hearn died. (Patricio Lafcadio Tessima Hearn). A writer, translator and teacher, he wrote 'La Cuisine Creole,' the first Creole cookbook.
(Creole and Cajun)
1914 The U.S. Federal Trade Commission was established.
1936 'Horse Eats Hat' opened at Maxine Elliott's Theatre in New York City.
1953 Sugar rationing ended in Great Britain.
1964 The TV show 'Gilligan's Island' premiered. The comic tales of 7 shipwrecked castaways on an island.
2008 Paul Newman died (born Jan 26, 1925). Actor, director, race car driver, etc. Newman also co-founded 'Newman's Own' food company, which donates all profits to charity (amounting to more than $490 million as of May 2017).
2009 A bottle water ban went into effect today in the town of Bundanoon in New South Wales, Australia (the first in Australia).