Today in Food History
• Johnny Appleseed Day (see 1774 below)
(John Chapman Biography)
• National Hunting & Fishing Day (Sept 26, 2020)
[Presidential proclamation, 1972]
• Better Breakfast Day [Calorie Control Council]
• National Dumpling Day
• Family Health & Fitness Day (Sept 26, 2020 - last Saturday) [www.fitnessday.com]
• St. Cosmas, patron of barbers, hairdressers, midwives and doctors.
• (Some sources list today as National Pancake Day
- see also Variable days in February)
• Buffalo Round-Up (Sept 24-26, 2020)
[Custer State Park, South Dakota]
• National Alpaca Farm Days (Sept 26-27, 2020)
[Alpaca Owners Association]
• National Farm Safety & Health Week (Sept 20-26, 2020) [Nat'l Education Ctr for Agricultural Safety]
• UK: [British Food Fortnight] (Sept 19 - Oct 4, 2020)
• UK: Plant Health Week (Sept 21-27, 2020
[The Tree Council]
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 22-Oct 22, 2020)
[The Tree Council] Gather seeds, fruits and nuts which can be nurtured to grow the trees of the future.
On this day in:
1754 Joseph-Louis Proust born. Proust was a French chemist. In 1799 he extracted sugar from grapes, and proved it identical to sugar extracted from honey.
1774 John Chapman, Johnny Appleseed was born. American pioneer and legend, he planted apple seeds in the Ohio River valley area (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois).
1789 Samuel Osgood was appointed as the first Postmaster General under the Constitution.
1820 Daniel Boone died. American pioneer and frontiersman.
1843 Ivan Pavlov was born. He was the first to notice that dogs began to salivate when they could see, smell or taste food.
1902 Levi Strauss died. Inventor and manufacturer of jeans. He originally planned to make canvas tents for miners in the California gold rush, but soon found that durable pants sold better.
1904 Lafcadio Hearn died. (Patricio Lafcadio Tessima Hearn). A writer, translator and teacher, he wrote 'La Cuisine Creole,' the first Creole cookbook.
(Creole and Cajun)
1914 The U.S. Federal Trade Commission was established.
1936 'Horse Eats Hat' opened at Maxine Elliott's Theatre in New York City.
1953 Sugar rationing ended in Great Britain.
1964 The TV show 'Gilligan's Island' premiered. The comic tales of 7 shipwrecked castaways on an island.
2008 Paul Newman died (born Jan 26, 1925). Actor, director, race car driver, etc. Newman also co-founded 'Newman's Own' food company, which donates all profits to charity (amounting to more than $490 million as of May 2017).
2009 A bottle water ban went into effect today in the town of Bundanoon in New South Wales, Australia (the first in Australia).
2020 Coronavirus: Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida has lifted all restrictions on businesses statewide, including bars and restaurants, which may now operate at full capacity. Cities and counties may not issue fines or other penalties to people for not wearing face coverings; 33 states report rise in new coronavirus cases; U.S. Coronavirus cases more than 7,244,180 with over 208,440 deaths; Global cases more than 32,765,270 with over 993,460 deaths.