Today in Food History
• National Chocolate Milk Day
• National Corned Beef Hash Day
(Corned Beef Hash Recipe)
• Buffalo Round-Up (Sept 26-28, 2018)
[Custer State Park, South Dakota]
• St. Vincent de Paul, patron of horses, hospitals, volunteers and lost articles.
• UK: Red Squirrel Week (Sept 24-30, 2018) Once common, Red Squirrels are now only found in certain areas of the UK, which is why The Wildlife Trusts are working to protect them. (The Wildlife Trusts)
• UK: [British Food Fortnight] (Sept 22 - Oct 7, 2018)
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2018)
On this day in:
1870 Edmund McIlhenny patented his improved method for making Pepper Sauce (Tabasco Sauce). U.S. patent No. 107,701.
1877 James Drummond Dole was born (died May 20, 1958). The 'Pineapple King' he founded Hawaiian Pineapple Company in 1901, renamed Dole Pineapple Co., later Dole Food Co. (Pineapple Trivia & Facts)
1892 Joshua Pusey invented book matches (he called them Flexible Matches). He sold the patent to the Diamond Match Company in 1895 or 1896.
1898 Clementine Paddleford was born (died Nov 13, 1967). American cookbook author and food columnist for numerous publications including NY Herald Tribune, NY Sun, NY Telegram; Gourmet and This Week magazines.
1938 The 'Queen Elizabeth,' the largest passenger liner of its time, was launched in Scotland. The world's largest floating restaurant.
1941 'Blue Champagne' by Jimmy Dorsey was #1 on the music charts.
1947 'Bread and Butter Woman' was recorded by Danny Kaye & the Andrews Sisters.
1947 Musician Marvin Lee Aday, 'Meat Loaf', was born.
1957 Jay A. Pritzker purchased the Hyatt hotel at Los Angeles airport from it owner Hyatt Von Dehn. The beginning of Hyatt Hotel Corporation.
2010 The temperature in downtown Los Angeles, California hit 113 degrees F just after noon, setting a new record high temperature.