JUNE 5 - Today in Food History
• [World Environment Day]: The United Nations day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment. Since it began in 1974, the event has grown to become a global platform for public outreach that is widely celebrated in over 100 countries.
• Gingerbread Day (Gingerbread Recipe -- Ginger Trivia)
• National Veggie Burger Day (Created by Amy's Kitchen in 2016) (Homemade Veggie Burger Recipes)
• Feast day of St. Boniface, patron saint of brewers.
• If it rains on the 5th of June, it means the blackberries will be small and full of seeds. (Blackberry Trivia)
• UK: [British Cucumber Day] (June 5, 2019)
(Cucumber Trivia, Facts & Stats)
• Capitol Hill Ocean Week - June 4-6, 2019.
[National Marine Sanctuary Foundation] The nation’s premier annual conference examining current marine, coastal and Great Lakes policy issues.
• Alex's Lemonade Days (June 1-9, 2019)
[Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation]
• National Garden Week (June 2-8, 2019)
[National Garden Clubs Inc]
• National Fishing & Boating Week: June 1-9, 2019
[Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation]
(Articles About Fish & Fishing)
On this day in:
1718 Thomas Chippendale, famous furniture designer and maker was born
1856 The first Vegetarian Community was established in Kansas. (Vegetarian Trivia -- Vegetarian Recipes)
1876 Foil wrapped bananas are sold for a dime at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Bananas become a popular treat for the first time in the U.S. when word spread about how delicious they were.
(Banana Trivia and Facts)
1877 New York taxed oleomargarine to protect the dairy industry. (Margarine Trivia and Facts)
1883 Horlick's developed the process to dehydrate milk, and patented it in 1883, calling it Malted Milk. Horlick's originally produced a food for babies and invalid's, that could be shipped without spoiling.
1934 Charles Francis Jenkins died. An inventor, Jenkins is best known as an early television pioneer. Among his many inventions was a cone-shaped drinking cup.
(TV Chefs Trivia and Facts)
1946 George A. Hormel died (born Dec 4, 1860). Founder of meat packing company, George A. Hormel & Co. (Hormel Foods) in Austin, Minnesota in 1891. Developed the first canned ham in 1926, introduced 'Spam' in 1937. (Hormel Trivia and Facts)
1977 The Apple II, the first personal computer went on sale.
1977 Alice Cooper's pet boa constrictor died after its dinner of a rat bit it first.
2007 Food scientist Edwin Traisman died at age 91. He helped develop Cheez Whiz for Kraft and later helped develop methods to standardize the French fries served at McDonald's restaurants. He also worked on research into the risks of various strains of E. coli bacteria.
2008 U.S. antitrust regulators approved the joint venture between SABMiller and Molson Coors, and MillerCoors began operation as a combined entity on July 1, 2008.