Why Do Donuts Have Holes?: Fascinating Facts About What We Eat And Drink
by Don Voorhees
DESCRIPTION“Why is milk white?”
- Can blueberries make you younger? What in the world is an electric pickle? For centuries, a healthy obsession with eating has fueled human curiosity (and filled our stomachs). Why Do Donuts Have Holes?
offers hundreds of witty and entertaining food facts, from the origins of popular phrases like “Mind your Ps and Qs”
and food fads like T.V. dinners to the age-old question, “Which came first, the chicken or the egg?”
Whether you’re in the mood for comfort food or looking for the upper crust, this is one book that will definitely whet your appetite.
Do you know…
* Who wrote the first cookbook?
* What candy is named after a racehorse?
* How to avoid “brain freeze”?
* What classic American breakfast cereal used to have a kangaroo as its mascot?
* Where fortune cookies were first made?
* What the first ready-mix food was?
* When there was a food-chewing fad?
* What natural sweetener can be used to dress wounds?
* How many restaurants there are in America?
* What vegetable has been cultivated for over 9,000 years?
Find the answers to a veritable menu of fascinating questions. With categories such as “On the Hoof,” “Eat Your Greens,” and “Saucy!” here is a truly unique culinary compendium sure to appeal to trivia buffs and even the most finicky readers.