FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_&_Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free Magazines | Food_Festivals_&_Shows
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
FOOD VIDEO SECTION
Recipe Videos, BBQ & Grilling, Food Safety, Food Science, Food Festivals, Beverages, Vintage Commercials, etc.
Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
by Neal Barnard and Robyn Webb
This soul-warming dish is a cinch. Chipotle peppers give it a Southern flare. If you make a bit extra, you'll have the filling on hand for an easy burrito,
Red beans and rice is a symbolic dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine, traditionally made on Mondays, with red beans spooned over rice and often served with a bottle of hot sauce. The combination of rice and beans provides a good balance of all the essential amino acids that make a complete protein.
Makes Six 1-Cup Servings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
• 3¼ cups vegetable broth
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1½ cups long-grain brown rice, rinsed
• 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
• 1 teaspoon chopped canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
• 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
• Sea salt to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat 1/4 cup broth in a large saucepan over medium heat. Put in the onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the brown rice and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the remaining 3 cups broth, tomatoes, and chipotle pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the rice is cooked through. Add beans and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
Per Serving (1/6 Of Recipe): 280 calories; 1.8g fat; 0.3 g saturated fat; 5.7% calories from fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g protein; 53 g carbohydrate; 4.9 g sugar; 9.2 g fiber; 882 mg sodium; 63 mg calcium; 2.5 mg iron; 8.5 mg vitamin C; 212 mcg beta-carotene; 0.6 mg vitamin E
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website. For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only. Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.