CREOLE RICE AND BEAN SOUP (Vegan)
Whole Foods Market Cookbook
by Steve Petusevsky & Whole Foods Market Team
Even in steamy South Florida, this soup is popular year-round. Many people from the Caribbean make their home in Miami, where this soup provides an inexpensive and nutritious meal. The combination of scallions and fresh thyme can be found in many island dishes.
Serves 6 To 8
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 2 large carrots, diced
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
• 2 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
• 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes with their juice
• 4 cups cold water or vegetable stock
• 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
• 1/4 cup brown rice
• 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
• 3 cups chopped and washed kale
• 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
• 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the canola oil in a large pot over medium heat; saute the carrots, onion, celery, peppers, and dried thyme for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
Add the tomato puree, whole tomatoes, cold water, and coconut milk to the pot; simmer for 5 minutes.
Break the tomatoes apart with a spoon and add the rice.
Simmer uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until the rice is tender.
Add the kidney beans, kale, peas, and fresh thyme; simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the parsley; season with the salt and pepper.
PER 1-CUP SERVING: Calories 110; Calories From Fat 30; Calories From Saturated Fat 20; Protein 5 G; Carbohydrate 16 G; Total Fat 3.5 G; Saturated Fat 2 G; Cholesterol 0 Mg; Sodium 120 Mg; 27% Calories From Fat