SPICED POTATO DUMPLINGS
Complete Indian Cooking
by Meena Pathak
Batata vada is traditionally street food, although it can also be served as an accompaniment to a main meal. This is a very simple recipe and is a real favourite all over India. I've used ghee here for an extra buttery flavour.
Spiced Potato Dumplings (Batata vada)
• 3 large potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 green chillies, finely chopped
• 50 g (2 oz) water chestnut flour or cornflour
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) for shallow-frying
Place all the ingredients except the ghee together in a large bowl and mix well. Knead and make into small balls and then flatten into discs.
Heat the ghee in a shallow frying pan. Fry the potato discs on both sides for about 2-4 minutes or until they turn crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot or cold with a dip or raita.
My tip: If you can't get hold of water chestnut flour soak 2 slices of bread in 1/4 cup of water. Mash, press the excess moisture out and add to the remainder of the ingredients. You might have to tweak the spicing up in order to obtain the desired flavour.