Lentil and Rice Pilaf (Megadarra)
Hello. Here's more fruit and vegetable news you can really enjoy. One popular, inexpensive, and deliciously healthy dish from North Africa is Megadarra, a combination of lentils and rice. To make it, first brown 2 thinly sliced onions in a little olive oil. In another pan, cook 1 cup of lentils in 2 cups broth for 12 minutes until just tender. Add half of the onions and ½ cup of white rice to the lentils, and season with a dash of salt and pepper, give it a stir, cover, and simmer over very low heat for another 20 minutes. Garnish with the rest of the onion, some cilantro, and serve with sliced tomatoes. Megadarra can be served hot or cold - and one cup counts as one high-fiber vegetable serving! Terrific stuff! So, go on, do yourself a flavor. Enjoy your 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
Provides 3 vegetable servings per person
· 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
· 2 large onions, peeled and sliced (4 cups)
· 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
· 1 cup lentils, dry, washed (2 cups cooked)
· ½ cup long grain white rice
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· ¼ teaspoon pepper
· 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. Heat the broth in a saucepan. Add the lentils and simmer 20 minutes.
2. While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a large high-sided skillet on medium high. Sauté the onions until golden brown. Take half the onions out of the pan and set aside.
3. Add the remaining onions, rice, salt, and pepper to the simmering lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook very slowly about 20 minutes or until the lentils and rice are tender.
4. Serve in a bowl topped with the reserved onions and chopped cilantro.
4 g fat
13% calories from fat
1 g saturated fat
3% calories from saturated fat
49 g carbohydrates
208 mg sodium
10 g dietary fiber