POTATO, MUSHROOM & DRIED PLUM TORTA
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Cook/Bake Time: 1 Hour
Stand Time: 20 Minutes
• 2 refrigerated pie crusts for 9-inch pie
• 1 pound (about 3 medium) potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1 pound assorted mushrooms (such as white, crimini, shiitake and oyster), sliced (about 6 cups)
• 6 large eggs
• 3/4 cup heavy cream
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 3/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 cup (about 6 ounces) chopped pitted dried plums
• 1 cup grated Romano cheese
• 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Heat oven to 400ºF.
Bring pie crusts to room temperature as package directs
On lightly floured surface, roll out one pie crust to 13-inch circle.
Fit crust into 9-inch springform pan with removable bottom.
Press onto bottom and side of pan.
Trim crust to make even. Set aside.
In medium saucepan, add potatoes to 2 inches boiling water.
Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
Cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; drain and cool.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
Add mushrooms; cook and stir 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid has evaporated; set aside to cool.
In large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, thyme, salt and pepper.
Gently stir in mushrooms, potatoes, dried plums and cheese.
Spoon filling into crust-lined pan.
Brush top edge of crust with egg wash.
Place remaining pie crust over filling, pinching edges to seal.
With small knife, make several small cuts to vent.
Bake 35 minutes; brush with egg wash.
Bake an additional 10 minutes or until top is golden brown and internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
Let stand 20 minutes.
To serve, cut into 12 wedges.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
% of Calories from Fat 55%
California Dried Plum Board - www.californiadriedplums.org