SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK CORN BREAD
Many Southerners like to bake their corn bread in a heavy black cast-iron skillet. First they coat the skillet with shortening. Then they preheat it in the oven until piping hot. As they pour in the batter, it bubbles and sizzles, forming a crispy crust on the bottom as it bakes.*
Prep: 10 Min - Bake: 30 Min
• 1 1/2 cups yellow, white or blue cornmeal
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour**
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil or shortening
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 large eggs
1. Heat oven to 450°F. Grease bottom and side of 9-inch round pan, 8-inch square pan or 10-inch ovenproof skillet with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, stir all ingredients until well mixed. Beat vigorously 30 seconds. Pour into pan.
3. Bake round or square pan 25 to 30 minutes, skillet about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
*This method has not been tested in the Betty Crocker Kitchens.
**If using self-rising flour, decrease baking powder to 1 teaspoon and omit salt.
CHEESY MEXICAN CORN BREAD Decrease buttermilk to 1 cup. Stir in 1 can (8.5 oz) cream-style corn, 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles, well drained, 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese (2 oz) and 1 teaspoon chili powder.
CORN STICKS Grease 18 corn stick pans with shortening. Fill about 7/8 full. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 18 corn sticks.
Nutrition for Southern Buttermilk Corn Bread
1 SERVING: Cal 145 (Cal From Fat 55), Fat 6g (Sat Fat 1g), Chol 35mg Sodium 370mg Carbs 19g (Fiber 1g), Pro 4g
% DAILY VALUE: Vit A 2%, Vit C 0%, Calc 8%, Iron 6%
EXCHANGES: 1 Starch, 1 Fat
CARB. CHOICES: 1