CRANBERRY CORNMEAL CAKE
King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
by King Arthur Flour
These two ingredients, known to our forebears during the earliest Colonial times, are indeed something to be thankful for, especially when baked together. The berries are baked on the bottom of the pan, then the cake is inverted to reveal the jewel-like morsels crowning the top. This cake is best served warm, perhaps with a bit of vanilla ice cream.
Yield: One 9-inch cake, 10 servings
Baking Temperature: 350°F
Baking Time: 45 to 50 minutes
• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup (3 3/4 ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
• 1 1/2 cups (5 1/2 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed if frozen
• 1/2 cup (3 ounces) golden raisins
• 1/3 cup (5 3/8 ounces) buttermilk
• 1 cup (4 7/8 ounces) whole yellow cornmeal
• 1/2 cup (2 1/8 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter
• 3/4 cup (5 5/8 ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 2 teaspoons orange zest (optional)
Combine the buttermilk and cornmeal in a small bowl; let the mixture soak for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
To Make The Topping: Melt the butter and pour it into an ungreased 9-inch round cake pan. Tilt to grease the sides of the pan. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and top with the cranberries and raisins; set aside.
To Bake The Cake: Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Cream together the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla and orange zest (if using). Add the flour mixture alternately with the moistened cornmeal, stirring until batter is evenly combined. Carefully spread the batter over the cranberries and raisins in the prepared pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1/10 Cake, 100G): 12g whole grains, 345 cal, 16g fat, 4g protein, 21g complex carbohydrates, 27g sugar, 1g dietary fiber, 82mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 240mg potassium, 162RE vitamin A, 2mg iron, 107mg calcium, 154mg phosphorus.