LIMAS AND SPINACH
Your family will love to eat more vegetables cooked this way.
Makes 7 servings
2 cups frozen lima beans
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup fennel, cut in strips (4 oz)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups leaf spinach, washed thoroughly
1 Tbsp distilled vinegar
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp raw chives
1. Steam or boil lima beans in unsalted water approximately 10 minutes.
2. In a skillet, sauté onions and fennel in oil.
3. Add the beans and stock to the onions, cover, and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the spinach. Cover and cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the vinegar and pepper. Cover and let stand for 30 seconds.
6. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fat 2 g
Saturated fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 84 mg
National Institutes of Health www.nih.gov/
Special thanks to Goulda A. Downer, Ph.D., R.D., for sharing her collection of African American recipes, and the General Clinical Research Center in the Irving Center for Clinical Research, Columbia University, New York, for testing the recipes.