Provides 2 1/2 vegetable servings per person
This dish was created by the indigenous American people.
• 2 teaspoons mild olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped with seeds (if you like it hot) or seeds removed
• 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups frozen corn kernels
• 2 cups frozen baby lima beans or green beans
• 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
• 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
1. Heat the oil in a high-sided skillet on medium high. Sauté the onion 3 minutes then add the garlic and jalapeño and cook 1 minute more or until the onions are soft but not browned. Season with the chili powder and salt.
2. Add the corn, lima beans and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Serve topped with the cilantro and sunflower seeds.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
7 g fat
22% calories from fat
1 g saturated fat
3% calories from saturated fat
49 g carbohydrates
335 mg sodium
8 g dietary fiber