Today in Food History
• Canada: Thanksgiving Day (2014)
• Columbus Day (U.S., 2014) Actual day of Columbus arrival to the Americas was Oct 12, 1492
• National Yorkshire Pudding Day
• St. Colman's Day, patron of cattle and horses.
• National School Lunch Week (Oct 13-17, 2014)
• National Bulk Foods Week (Oct 12-18, 2014)
• National Chestnut Week (Oct 12-25, 2014)
• National Cereal Lovers Week (Oct 10-14, 2014)
• UK: National Curry Week (Oct 13-19, 2014) Celebrate over 200 years of Indian restaurants in the UK.
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2014)
On this day in:
54 A.D. Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus, Emperor of Rome A.D. 41-54, died by poisoning. Known as Claudius I, supposedly he was poisoned with mushrooms by his wife Agrippina, after her son Nero was named as his heir.
1754 Mary Ludwig Hays ('Molly Pitcher’) was born (died Jan 22, 1832). Most famous of the American Revolutionary War soldier's wives who brought water to soldiers on the battlefront - nicknamed 'Molly Pitchers'
1938 Elzie Crisler Segar died (born Dec 8, 1894). Creator of the spinach loving Popeye the Sailer Man.
1945 Milton Snaveley Hershey of chocolate fame died (born Sept 13, 1857).
1950 Mollie Katzen was born. American chef and one of the best-selling cookbook authors of all time. Best known for the vegetarian 'Moosewood Cookbook' (1977)
1973 The Rolling Stones album 'Goat's Head Soup' was number one on the music charts.
2006 Six Flags theme park in Gurnee, Illinois holds a live cockroach eating contest.