Today in Food History
• World Egg Day (2017) [Int’l Egg Commission]
(Egg Trivia & Facts)
• National Yorkshire Pudding Day
(Traditional Yorkshire Pudding Recipe)
• St. Colman's Day, patron of cattle and horses.
• National School Lunch Week (Oct 9-13, 2017)
[School Nutrition Association]
• National Chestnut Week (Oct 8-14, 2017) ?
• UK: British Egg Week (Oct 9-15, 2017)
[British Egg Information Service]
Celebrating the Great British Breakfast for 2017.
• UK: National Curry Week (Oct 9-15, 2017) Celebrate over 200 years of Indian restaurants in the UK.
• UK: National Seafood Week (Oct 6-13, 2017)
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2017)
On this day in:
54 A.D. Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus, Emperor of Rome A.D. 41-54, died by poisoning. Known as Claudius I, supposedly he was poisoned with mushrooms by his wife Agrippina, after her son Nero was named as his heir. (Mushroom Trivia & Facts)
1754 Mary Ludwig Hays ('Molly Pitcher’) was born (died Jan 22, 1832). Most famous of the American Revolutionary War soldier's wives who brought water to soldiers on the battlefront - nicknamed 'Molly Pitchers'
1921 In Victoria, B.C. Canada, the Daily Colonist (aka British Colonist) newspaper the term "cold turkey" is used in reference to quitting an addiction - the first known use of the term in print.
1938 Elzie Crisler Segar died (born Dec 8, 1894). Creator of the spinach loving Popeye the Sailer Man in 1929. (Spinach Trivia & Facts)
1945 Milton Snaveley Hershey of chocolate fame died (born Sept 13, 1857). Founder of the Hershey Chocolate company.
1950 Mollie Katzen was born. American chef and one of the best-selling cookbook authors of all time. Best known for the vegetarian 'Moosewood Cookbook' (1977)
(Official Website: www.molliekatzen.com)
1973 The Rolling Stones album 'Goat's Head Soup' was number one on the music charts.
2002 'The Ketchup Song' by Spanish girl group Las Ketchup was number 1 in the UK and many other countries. (Ketchup Trivia, Facts & Recipes)
2006 Six Flags theme park in Gurnee, Illinois holds a live cockroach eating contest.