Today in Food History
• World Porridge Day
• Columbus Day Observed (U.S., 2016) Actual day of Columbus arrival to the Americas was Oct 12, 1492
• Florida: Farmers Day (Oct 10, 2016)
• Canada: Thanksgiving Day (2016)
• National Angel Food Cake Day
• National School Lunch Week (Oct 10-14, 2016)
[School Nutrition Association]
• National Chestnut Week (Oct 9-15, 2016) ?
• UK: National Seafood Week (Oct 7-14, 2016)
• UK: British Egg Week (Oct 10-17, 2016)
[British Egg Information Service] The 2016 theme is ‘Put an Egg On It’ set to encourage consumers to experiment with eating eggs in more unusual ways.
• UK: National Curry Week (Oct 10-16, 2016) Celebrate over 200 years of Indian restaurants in the UK.
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2017)
On this day in:
1796 Traditional date for the creation of the metric system, 10/10.
1886 The Tuxedo was created. Griswold Lorillard of Tuxedo Park, N.Y. fashioned the first tuxedo for men.
1892 Earle Dickson was born. He invented Band-Aids for his wife, who had frequent kitchen accidents, cutting or burning herself. He worked as a buyer for Johnson & Johnson, who soon began manufacturing Band-Aids.
1911 Jasper Newton 'Jack' Daniel died (born Sept 5, 1850). Founder of Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey distillery.
1913 Adolphus Busch died. Founded Anheuser Busch in 1866 with his father-in-law, Eberhard Anheuser.
1913 A dike was blown up by the U.S. engineers to complete the final stage of the Panama Canal, and the waters of the Pacific met the waters of the Atlantic.
1933 Waldo L. Semon received a patent on a method for making plasticized PVC, now know as Vinyl.
1933 Proctor & Gamble began marketing 'Dreft,' the first synthetic detergent for home use. Detergents perform better in hard water than soaps.
1961 The musical comedy 'Milk and Honey' opened at the Martin Beck Theatre in New York.
1966 Simon and Garfunkel release their album, 'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme'