Today in Food History
• National Sausage Pizza Day
(Pizza Trivia -- Pizza Recipes)
• Feast of St. Gummarus, patron of cowherds.
• National School Lunch Week (Oct 9-13, 2017)
[School Nutrition Association]
• National Chestnut Week (Oct 8-14, 2017) ?
• UK: National Seafood Week (Oct 6-13, 2017)
• UK: British Egg Week (Oct 9-15, 2017)
[British Egg Information Service]
Celebrating the Great British Breakfast for 2017.
• UK: National Curry Week (Oct 9-15, 2017) Celebrate over 200 years of Indian restaurants in the UK.
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2018)
On this day in:
1844 Henry John Heinz was born. Founder of the H.J. Heinz company and creator of its slogan '57 varieties.'
(Heinz Trivia & Facts)
1887 The first accurate adding machine patented by Don Eugene Felt. (The Comptometer).
1911 Nathaniel Wyeth was born. Nathaniel Wyeth, American chemist and inventor, received patent for PET (polyethylene terephthalate) beverage bottles. This was the first safe plastic strong enough to hold carbonated beverages.
1919 The first airline meals are served by Handley Page Transport. Passengers are offered a pre-packed lunch-box, costing 3 shillings, on their London to Paris service. (Royal Air Force Museum)
1952 'Jambalaya (On The Bayou)' by Hank Williams was number one on the country music charts.
1958 'The Old Man and the Sea' opened in U.S. theatres. Based on Earnest Hemingway's 1952 novel, it is the story of an aging fisherman and starred Spencer Tracy.
1983 The last hand cranked telephones in the United States were taken out of service as the 440 telephone customers in Bryant Pond, Maine were switched over to direct dial service.
1996 President Clinton signed Economic Espionage Act of 1996 into law which criminalized misappropriation of trade secrets.