HEART HEALTHY GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
Whether with saucepan or microwave, you can make this dish tasty without added fat or salt. A heart healthy recipe.
Yield: 4 servings
2 (1 lb) large potatoes, peeled, quartered
2 C skim milk
2 cloves garlic, large, chopped
1/2 tsp white pepper
To use saucepan:
1. Cook potatoes, covered, in small amount of boiling water for 20–25 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Drain and recover.
2. Meanwhile, in small saucepan over low heat, cook garlic in milk until soft (about 30 minutes).
3. Add milk-garlic mixture and white pepper to potatoes. Beat with electric mixer on low speed, or mash with potato masher, until smooth.
To use microwave:
1. Scrub potatoes, pat dry, and prick with fork.
2. On plate, cook potatoes uncovered on 100 percent (high) power until tender (about 12 minutes), turning over once.
3. Let stand 5 minutes, then peel and quarter.
4. Meanwhile, in 4-cup measuring glass, combine milk and garlic. Cook, uncovered, on 50 percent (medium) power until garlic is soft (about 4 minutes).
5. Continue as directed above.
Serving size: 3/4 cup - Each serving provides:
Total fat: less than 1 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Sodium: 69 mg
Total fiber: 2 g
Protein: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Potassium: 577 mg
National Institutes of Health - www.nih.gov/
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute