SHORT RIBS WITH BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE
The key to this recipe is rendering enough of the fat from the short ribs during the oven-roasting process. Finish them on the grill with a lick of flame for caramelization.
• Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
• Baking sheet, lined with foil
• Baking racks
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) smoked paprika
• 2 tablespoons (25 mL) garlic salt
• 2 tablespoons (25 mL) lemon pepper
• 4 pounds (2 kg) beef short ribs, trimmed and membrane removed
Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
• 1½ cups (375 mL) ketchup
• 1½ cups (375 mL) chili sauce
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed dark brown sugar
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple- or fig-flavored balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) dry mustard
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) bourbon
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) celery salt
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) liquid smoke
In a bowl, combine paprika, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of ribs. Place ribs on baking racks set on baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for about 2½ hours, or until meat pulls away from the ends of the bones.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce:
In a large saucepan, combine ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, bourbon, water, celery salt and liquid smoke; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
Place ribs meaty side down on the grill. Grill for 7 to 10 minutes, or until meat is a nice burnished color. Turn ribs and slather the meaty side with sauce. Grill for 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is caramelized.
For maximum flavor, the ribs can be sprinkled with the paprika, garlic salt and lemon pepper up to 1 day before. Wrap well and store in the refrigerator.
After step 1, the ribs can be cooled, wrapped in foil and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
The sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Recipe from 300 BIG & BOLD BARBECUE & GRILLING RECIPES by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig
(Robert Rose Inc.; May 2009; $24.95/softcover)