ALMOND CHICKEN AND RICE
Yield: Makes 6 servings.
• 2 to 3 chicken breasts, boned, skinned and cut into small thin strips
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 16-ounce can mixed Chinese vegetables, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup thinly sliced celery
• 1 8-ounce can pineapple tidbits in juice (drain; reserve juice)
• 1 teaspoon garlic salt
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/3 cup chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
• 3 cups hot cooked rice
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
Cook chicken in oil in large skillet over medium heat until brown. Add Chinese vegetables, celery, salt and 1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice. Cover and cook 1 minute.
Blend cornstarch, sugar, broth and soy sauce. Stir into chicken mixture and cook until thickened and clear, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Add pineapple and 1/4 cup almonds. Serve over hot rice. Sprinkle with onions and remaining 1/4 cup almonds.
Total Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
Dietary Fiber 3g
USA Rice Federation (www.usarice.com)