Pecans are 70% fat.
Soaking pecans in salt water for several hours before shelling will make nut meats easier to remove.
There are about 19 pecan halves to the ounce.
• Shelled pecans can be kept in the refrigerator for about nine months and for up to two years in the freezer.
• Airtight containers, such as jars with lids, are best for storing pecans in the refrigerator.
• Sealed plastic bags are best for storing pecans in the freezer.
• After removal from cold storage, pecans will stay good for an additional two months.
• In-shell pecans can be stored in a cool, dry place for six to 12 months.