SPICY SQUID SALAD
• 1 baby cos lettuce, washed and dried
• 1 kg (2 Ib 4 oz) squid, cleaned, scored on inside and cut into strips
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3 red Asian shallots, or 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
• 20 g (1 cup) mint leaves
• 30 g (1 cup) coriander (cilantro) sprigs
• 50 g (1 cup) Asian basil leaves, or basil leaves
• 2 long red chillies, seeded and very finely sliced
Arrange the lettuce leaves on four serving plates.
Place the squid and vegetable oil in a bowl and toss to combine.
Preheat a barbecue or frying pan until hot.
Cook the squid for 1 to 2 minutes each side, or until just cooked.
Don't overcook or the squid will be tough.
Place the onion, mint, coriander, basil and chilli in a bowl with the cooked squid. Pour the chilli garlic dressing over and toss to combine. Pile on top of the lettuce leaves.
CHILLI GARLIC DRESSING
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 small red chilli, roughly chopped
• 2 coriander (cilantro) roots, washed and scraped
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 55 g (1/4 cup) soft brown sugar
• 60 ml (1/4 cup) lime juice
• 60 ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce
Place the garlic, chilli, coriander root and salt in a mortar and pestle and pound into a paste.
Add the sugar, lime juice and fish sauce and stir to combine.
Alternatively, process in a food processor or blender until smooth.