OCTOPUS AND ARUGULA SALAD
(Insalata Di Polpo E Rucola)The Silver Spoon, Phaidon PressServes 6Ingredients
• scant 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 6 black peppercorns
• 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
• 1 3/4-pound octopus, cleaned and tenderized
• 2 bunches of arugula, chopped
• 4 tablespoons pine nuts
• 1/2 apple, peeled, cored and diced
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• juice of 1 lemon, strained
• salt and pepperDirections
Put a little water in a pan and add the wine and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, add the sea salt and immerse the octopus.
Cook for 1 hour or until the thickest tentacles can be pricked with a fork.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the octopus cool in the water for at least 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the arugula, pine nuts and apple.
Drain the octopus, pull off and discard the skin and chop the flesh.
Add to the arugula mixture.
Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice in a pitcher, season with salt and pepper and pour over the salad.