MOCHA MARBLE CHEESECAKE
Big Book of Chocolate
by Jennifer Donovan
Preparation Time 25 minutes, plus chilling
Cooking Time 40 to 45 minutes
Makes 1 x 9 in. cheesecake
• butter, for greasing
• 1 recipe quantity Chocolate Crumb Crust (see below)
• 10 1/2 oz. cream cheese, softened
• 7 oz. ricotta cheese
• 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
• 3 tsp. cornstarch
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2 cups plus 1 tbsp. creme fraiche
• 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. heavy cream
• 2 tsp. instant coffee powder
• 2 tbsp. coffee liqueur
• 3 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and left to cool
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease a Pin. springform pan with butter and press the prepared chocolate crumb crust into the bottom.
2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, ricotta, and sugar together, using an electric hand mixer, until smooth. Add the cornstarch, eggs, and vanilla extract and beat until just combined, then stir in the creme fraiche and cream. Divide the mixture evenly between 2 bowls. Blend the coffee, liqueur, and melted chocolate into one half of the mixture, using the electric hand mixer, and leave the other half plain.
3. Pour both of the mixtures over the crumb crust (use two hands and do this at the same time, if possible). Using a fork, swirl the mixtures together to create a marbled effect.
4. Bake in the hot oven 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cheesecake is firm around the edges but still slightly wobbly in the middle. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan completely.
5. Refrigerate the cheesecake 2 hours or overnight, then remove from the pan.
CHOCOLATE GRAHAM CRUMB CRUST
Prep: Time 10 minutes; Cooking: 10 minutes
Makes 1 x 9 in. crumb crust
• 9 oz.graham crackers
• 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
• 6 tbsp. butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Break up the crackers roughly with your hands and then pulse them in a food processor (or place them in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin) until they are fine crumbs. Add the cocoa and melted butter and pulse until the mixture is well combined.
3. Empty the mixture into a greased 9in. springform pan, press it over the bottom and up the sides of the pan (according to the recipe), and bake in the hot oven 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the crust cool completely before removing it from the pan.