Today in Food History
- National Coffee Ice Cream Day
- St. Magnus of Fussen's Day, patron of crops.
- World Water Week (Sept 1-7, 2013)
- National Waffle Week (Sept 1-7, 2013)
- UK: Zero Waste Week (Sept 2-8, 2013)
On this day in:
1620 The Pilgrims set sail from England aboard the Mayflower.
1800 Catherine Esther Beecher was born. American educator and author of 'Miss Beecher's Domestic Receipt Book' (1841). This was the first cookbook written by and for an American audience.
1876 John James Rickard Macleod was born (died March 16, 1935). He shared the 1923 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine with Sir Frederick Banting for the discovery of insulin and its role in the metabolism of sugar.
1892 John Froelich made the first gasoline powered tractor.
1899 Carnation began producing evaporated milk.