Today in Food History
• Salami Day ? (Recipe for Homemade Cotto Salami)
• National Acorn Squash Day (Acorn Squash Recipes)
• National Beer Lover's Day ?
• National Fight Procrastination Day was yesterday
• St. Gratus of Aosta, protector of vineyards.
• St. Regina, patron of shepherdesses.
• Biscuits and Gravy Week (Sept 3-9, 2017)
[Biscuit History -- Biscuits & Gravy Article & Recipe]
• National Waffle Week (Sept 3-9, 2017)
• UK: Zero Waste Week (Sept 4-8, 2017)
• Scottish Food & Drink Fortnight (Sept 2-17, 2017) A nationwide event which supports and promotes Scotland’s produce, and the people who grow, make, cook and sell it. (Food Festivals in Scotland)
On this day in:
1822 A prisoner-powered treadmill for grinding corn began operation at New York City Prison. Up to 16 prisoners at a time walked on a paddle-wheel like treadmill, grinding about 50 bushells of corn per day. The trial project lasted only a few years.
1840 Luther Crowell was born (died Sept 16, 1903). He invented a machine to make square bottomed grocery bags. (U.S. Patent No. 123811, Feb 20, 1872)
1912 David Packard was born. Founder with William Hewlett of the Hewlett Packard Company. Before they became famous for computers and printers etc., some of their early inventions were an automatic urinal flusher and a weight loss shock machine!
1936 The last Tasmanian Tiger died at the Hobart Zoo in Tasmania, Australia. This dog-like marsupial was systematically exterminated as an undesirable predator of farm animals.
1971 The final episode of 'The Beverly Hillbillies' TV show is aired. (9 years and 216 shows).
2002 A new record for largest peanut butter and jelly sandwich was set in Oklahoma. 350 pounds of peanut butter and 144 pounds of jelly. (see Peanut Butter and Jelly Trivia for details)