Fondly referred to as The Cooking Milk, CARNATION® Evaporated Milk is a common staple found in most kitchens. Used in a variety of both sweet and savory recipes, this special concentration of fresh milk offers a number of significant cooking and baking performance benefits most other milks can’t duplicate.
(Free Recipe Booklet at www.thecookingmilk.com)
Adds Creaminess and Flavor
• How: The richness and creaminess of CARNATION® is the result of the reduced amount of water in the milk (about half the water content is evaporated). As the milk sugars are gently heated, a slight caramelized flavor develops in the evaporated milk.
• Result: This performance benefit subtly enhances many dessert and confection recipes as well as adds a depth of flavor to savory recipes.
• Without CARNATION®: The recipe may lack rounded and deeper flavors.
• How: The specially concentrated milk proteins and milk sugars (lactose) in CARNATION® Evaporated Milk retain water.
• Result: This adds “body” to soups, sauces and custards, making them thicker and fuller.
• Without CARNATION®: The recipe will be thinner and may require additional starch to achieve the same thickness.
Increases Smoothness/Prevents Curdling
• How: As fresh milk is gently heated (forewarmed) to make CARNATION®, the larger milk proteins (casein) are conditioned to make them more resistant to curdling.
• Result: CARNATION® helps to create a smooth consistency.
• Without CARNATION®: Curdling, which produces an undesirable, grainy texture, occurs more readily when using regular milk in a recipe. This may result in a sauce that is less smooth.
• How: CARNATION® Evaporated Milk proteins help stabilize the fat emulsion by interacting with the oil and water.
• Result: This emulsification creates a blended flavor and uniform consistency.
• Without CARNATION®: The sauce or dressing would separate more quickly.
• How: The special concentration of CARNATION® Evaporated Milk proteins and milk sugars (lactose) unite with molecules of water through hydrogen-bond formation.
• Result: Foods retain their tenderness and moistness longer.
• Without CARNATION®: Foods may lose their moistness more quickly, reducing quality and shelf-life.
Promotes Whipping and Foaming
• How: When CARNATION® is whipped, the milk proteins create a thin protective film around air bubbles.
• Result: This interaction allows foamy and airy textures to develop and helps maintain the whipped volume.
• Without CARNATION®: Whipping would not occur.
Carnation® Evaporated Milk is fresh, nutritious milk which is gently heated to remove about half the water. This special concentration of milk adds a rich and creamy taste and cooking benefits. Plus, consider the following nutrition facts:
• CARNATION® offers twice the calcium and protein as whole milk*
• CARNATION® offers 1/3 the fat of half-and-half**
• CARNATION® Low Fat (2%) and Fat Free varieties offer a richer, more full-bodied taste than regular reduced fat milks, with the same amount of fat and twice the protein and calcium***
*CARNATION® has 300mg calcium, 4g protein, 8g total fat vs. whole milk with 150mg calcium, 2g protein, 4g total fat per ½ cup serving
**CARNATION® has 8g total fat vs. half-in-half with 14g total fat per ½ cup serving
***CARNATION® Low Fat (2%) and Fat Free Evaporated Milk have 350mg calcium and 4g protein vs. low fat (2%) and fat free milk with 150mg calcium and 2g protein per ½ cup serving
SOURCE: USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 2005
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: email@example.com
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2014 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.