MAY 22 - Today in Food History
• National Maritime Day: Annually to honor the U.S. Merchant Marine (see also 1819 below)
• National Vanilla Pudding Day (Vanilla Pudding Recipe)
• World Trade Week (May 20-24, 2019) - In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaimed World Trade Week as the third week of May in national observance of the importance of international trade to the U.S. (specific dates may vary). (New York --- California --- Miami)
• Ireland: National Herb Week (May 19-25, 2019) An annual event in Ireland celebrating herbs and herbal medicine. [Irish Register of Herbalists]
• UK: British Sandwich Week (May 19-25, 2019)
[The British Sandwich Association]
• UK: British Tomato Fortnight (formerly Tomato Week) May 20-June 2, 2019 [British Tomato Growers’ Assn.]
(Tomato Trivia --- Tomato Recipes)
On this day in:
1819 American steamship SS Savannah sailed from Savannah, Georgia for Liverpool, England. The first steamship to cross the Atlantic. It arrived at Liverpool on June 20, 1819.
1859 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born. Creator of Sherlock Holmes. Holmes would go for days without food while working on a case.
1892 Dr. Washington Sheffeld invented the collapsible metal toothpaste tube.
1894 African American inventor S. Newson patented an "oil heater or cooker."
1931 Canned rattlesnake goes on sale. Packed by George K. End of Arcadia, Florida. Not quite as big a hit as Spam.
1934 David Wesson died. An American chemist who developed a method to make cotton seed oil edible. Cotton seed oil has almost no taste, so it allows the flavors of other foods to come through. It is used in the manufacture of margarine, salad dressings, in commercially fried foods, and of course, Wesson Oil.
(Cottonseed Oil Trivia & Facts)
1946 The Culinary Institute of America is founded.
1947 Amedeo Obici died (born July 15, 1877). Obici and Mario Peruzzi founded Planters Peanut Company in 1906.
(Planter’s Nuts Trivia & Facts)
1956 Lever Brothers registered 'Wisk' trademark for America's first liquid laundry detergent.
1990 Microsoft releases Windows 3.0
1992 Elizabeth David died (born Dec 26, 1913). "Britain's first lady of food." Food writer who strongly influenced home cookery in Britain after the austerity of WW II, writing about European cuisines and traditional British cookery.
2005 Thurl Ravenscroft died (born Feb 6, 1914). Voice actor best known as the voice of 'Tony the Tiger' in Kellogg's Frosted Flakes commercials - "They're grrrreeat!" (Frosted Flakes Trivia & Facts)