FEBRUARY 14 - Today in Food History
• Valentine's Day One of the busiest days of the year for restaurants. (Valentines Day Recipes)
• National Cream Filled Chocolates Day
• Bulgaria: Trifon Zarezan (Vinegrowers or Viticulturists’ Day). This is a very ancient holiday rite; Bulgarians prune the vines and sprinkle them with wine for a good harvest.
• Pancake Week (Feb 12-18, 2018 - Week of Shrove Tuesday - can be Feb or March)
· Pancake Recipes · Cooking Tips · Facts & Trivia
• Jell-O Week (Feb 11-17, 2018) In 2001 Jell-O was declared Official State Snack of Utah and Governor Michael O. Leavitt declared an annual "Jell-O Week"
On this day in:
1773 Benjamin Delessert was born (died March 1, 1847). French industrialist who developed the first successful process to extract sugar from sugar beets. (Sugar Trivia)
1779 Captain James Cook died. British explorer who charted and named many Pacific Islands, including the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii). (Hawaii Food Trivia)
1803 Moses Coates of Downington, Pennsylvania received a patent for a 'Machine for Paring Apples'
1833 Gottlieb Sigismund Kirchhof died. He discovered glucose, developed a method for refining vegetable oil, and experimented with brewing and fermentation.
1838 Margaret E. Knight was born. An American inventor, she invented an improved paper bag machine to make bags with flat bottoms.
1859 George Washington Ferris was born (died Nov 22, 1896). He developed the first Ferris Wheel for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois which opened on May 1, 1893.
1871 Thomas Adams, of Hudson City, New Jersey, received a patent for a method of producing chewing-gum. (See also Chewing Gum Trivia & Facts)
1886 California oranges were first shipped East by rail.
(California Food Trivia)
1903 The U.S. Department of Commerce and Labor was established.
1922 The Fleischmann Co. registered 'Fleischmann's' trademark for yeast (first used in 1876).
(How Yeast Works)
1923 The Velveeta Cheese Company is incorporated as a separate company in Monroe, New York. Velveeta had been invented in 1918 by Emil Frey of the Monroe Cheese Co. Velveeta cheese was packaged using a 1921 invention of a tinfoil lining that could house the cheese inside a wooden box. Its special cooking properties quickly caught on. When melted, it was as smooth as velvet (hence its name), and it would never curdle when heated. (Acquired by Kraft in 1927).
1972 The musical 'Grease' opened at the Eden Theatre in New York City.
2003 Dolly the sheep died. Dolly was the first animal cloned from an adult animal. (Born July 5, 1996)