Preparation time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 6
Number of 5 A Day servings: 1
· 2 cups, Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
· 1/4 cup, sugar substitute
· 3 Tbsp, red wine vinegar
· 1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 3 Tbsp, minced fresh basil
· 1 tsp, oregano
· 1 8 oz loaf whole grain French bread
· 8 tsp, extra virgin olive oil
Combine cranberries, sugar and red wine vinegar in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil.
Add onion and garlic, return to a boil and reduce heat.
Simmer on low for 10 minutes or until cranberries pop.
Pour into a glass bowl.
Stir in basil and oregano. Cool at room temperature.
Cut bread diagonally into 16 (3/4-inch) slices; brush both sides with oil.
Broil each side for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown
Top each slice with cranberry mixture.
CDC Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion - www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/5aday/index.htm